Search This Blog

Conditional Sentences/Conditional Clauses/If Clauses




1.         GB Conditional clause ¸wj If, Even if, If only, As long as, So long as, Suppose that, Supposing that, Provided that Ges negative condition Gi Rb¨ unless, if....... not, incase Øviv m~wPZ nq|
h_v t    If you come, I shall go.
            So long as you return the camera by Monday next, I’ll lend it to you.
            Suppose that/Supposing that you failed in your mission, what would you do?
            Kamal says hill accept the offer provided that/Providing that the salary is ok.
            You’d better stop your journey in case the weather doesn’t clear.
Note:  Main clause A_ev Conditional clause Av‡M, c‡i Avm‡Z cv‡i| Conditional clause Av‡M emv‡j †Rvi (emphasis) eySvq|
          If clause Øviv e³v 2wU Ae¯’v cÖKvk Ki‡Z cv‡ib :
          (1)      Real conditions : ewY©Z djvdjwU m¤¢v hw` Av‡MiwU N‡U|
          (2)      Unreal conditions/Contrary to fact : ewY©Z djvdjwU Aev¯Íe/Am¤¢e/m‡Z¨i           wecixZ, †Kbbv Av‡Mi NUbvwUI Am¤¢e/Aev¯Íe/KvíwbK|
                   wPivPwiZ wbq‡g GB Conditional Clause ¸wj I fv‡M fvM Kiv nq|
(A)
First Conditional,
(Real Condition)
(B)
Second Conditional
Unreal Conditiona
(C)
Third Conditional

            (A) First Conditional: Basic structure = If + Present + Future GB basic structure G If clause G Main clause G Dfq As‡kB A‡bK Variation (ZviZg¨) nq|

Basic Structure

            First Conditional : If + Present + Future.
            Example :      If you come, I shall go.
                                    If we play tennis, I’ll win.
Note:  (i)        If clause w`‡q evK¨ ïi“ n‡j Gi c‡i comma e¨eüZ nq| If clause wU c‡iI e¨eüZ     n‡Z cv‡i ; †m †¶‡Î comma e¨eüZ nq bv| If clause Gi NUbvwU NUv LyeB    ¯^vfvweK/m¤¢e|
            (ii)       If clause Gi verbwU hw`I Present tense G Av‡Q, Future G bq, ZeyI A_© GLv‡b       eZ©gvb ev fwel¨Z|
          (iii)    g‡b ivL‡Z n‡e †h G¸‡jv ïay Òm¤¢vebvÓ gvÎ| Avgiv A‡bK mgq Ggb evK¨ cvB hv    First/second/third †Kvb section-G B c‡o bv| h_vÑ
          If Kamal didn’t phone this morning, then his probable away.
Variations: (First conditional Gi main clause G A‡bK varion (ZviZg¨ n‡Z cv‡i)|
            (i)        If + Present + may/might (m¤¢vebv eySvq)| If the fag gets thicker, the plane        may/might be diverted (m¤¢veZ PlanewU Ab¨ c‡_ hv‡e)
          (ii)       If + Present + may (AbygwZ A‡_© PvIqv)/can (mvg_© ev AbygwZ A‡_©)
                   If he works hard today, can he have a holiday tomorrow?”
                        If the house catches fire, we can use the back door for escape.
                        If you like, you may go (B”Qv Ki‡j †h‡Z cvi)
                      If it bores me, it stop, (If + Present + Present)
            (iii)     If + Present + must, should A_ev Ab¨‡Kvb Av‡`k, Aby‡iva A_ev Dc‡`k †evaK         kã|
                   If you want to shine in life, you must/should work hard.
(Rxe‡b DbœwZ Ki‡Z PvB‡j, †Zvgv‡K K‡Vvi cwikªg Ki‡Z n‡e|)
If you want want ot improve, you had better avoid bad company.
(DbœwZ PvB‡j, †Zvgvi Lvivc msmM© Z¨vM Kiv DwPZ)
If you want to lose weight, eat less
(IRb Kgv‡Z PvB‡j Kg LvI|)
If you see Kamal tomorrow, could you ask him to see me?
(Kvgv‡ji mv‡_ Kvj †`Lv n‡j Zv‡K Avgvi mv‡_ †`Lv Ki‡Z ej‡e wK ? = Aby‡iva)
          (iv)      If + Present + Ab¨ tense.
                        If + two present tense (GB structure ¯^qswµq/ixwZMZ/Af¨vmMZ djvdj cÖKv‡k        e¨eüZ nq|)
                   If you put oil on water, if floats (will float I n‡e)
                   If there is shortage of any product price of that product go up.
                        (†Kvb `ª‡e¨i mieivn Kg _vK‡j, Zvi `vg †e‡o hvq|)
            (v)       If hw` As/Since (†h‡nZz) A‡_© e¨eüZ nq, Z‡e Principal Clause G iKgvix tense       e¨envi Kiv hvq|
          (vi)      If Mamun hates Dhaka why does he live there?
                        (XvKv AcQ›` n‡j gvgyb XvKvq _v‡K †Kb ?)
                   If Munna doesn’t like Dhaka, he shouted/ought to move out.
                        V-Gi evK¨¸wj true conditional clause bq|
If clause Gi Variation (ZviZg¨)
          (i)        If + Present continuous (eZ©gv‡bi †Kvb KvR A_ev fwel¨‡Zi †Kvb e¨e¯’vcbv eySv‡Z     e¨eüZ nq)|
                   If you are waiting for a bus you’d better join the queue. (eZ©gvb)|
                   ev‡mi Rb¨ A‡c¶v K‡i _vK‡j †Zvgvi eis jvB‡b `uvovb fvj|
                   If you are arriving by plane, please let me know.
                        (wegv‡b Avm‡j Avgv‡K RvbvI) = Present action)
If you are preparing for B.C.S. exam, why don’t you go to hostel?
(B.C.S cix¶vi Rb¨ hw` cÖ¯‘wZ wb”Q g‡b Ki, Z‡e †nv‡ó‡j hvI bv †Kb ? = Present           action.
                        If you are looking for Mamun you’ll find him at the station.
                        (gvgyb‡K hw` †LvR Ki Z‡e †ók‡b Zv‡K cvIqv hv‡e) = eZ©gvb eySv‡”Q|
                   If you are staying for another night I’ll ask the manager to give you a           better room. (fwel¨Z e¨e¯’vcbv eySv‡”Q)|
          (ii)       If + Present Perfect.
                        If you have finished eating I’ll call a taxi.
                        (Lvevi †kl K‡i _vK‡j, taxi WvKe)
                   If he has written the letter, I’ll post it.
                        Zvi wPwVwU †jLv †kl n‡j Avwg †cvó Kie|
                   If they haven’t visited the museum, we’d better go there today.”
            (iv)      If + Present + future perfect
                        If you don’t hurry and reach the doctors chamber before five O’clock, he   will have left the chamber and gone home.
                        cuvPUvi Av‡M hw` Zzwg Wvt Gi †P¤^v‡i bv †cuŠQvI, Z‡e †`L‡e Wvt †P¤^vi †Q‡o evox P‡j           †M‡Qb|
          (v)       If + Present Perfect continuous + Present Indefinite
                        If you have been working all day long, you need a rest.
                        mvivw`b a‡i KvR K‡i _vK‡j †Zvgvi GKUz Avivg `iKvi|
          (vi)      If + Past + future
                        If Susan promised to come, he’ll surly come.
            (vii)    If + Past + Present
                        If you worked all day long, you probably need a rest.
            (viii)   If + Past Perfect + future
                        If he hadn’t come in when you arrived, he won’t come in at all this   morning.–Horn by
                        Zzwg hLb G‡mwQ‡j ZLb hw` †m bv AvmZ Z‡e AvR mKv‡j †m Avi AvmZ B bv|
          (ix)      If + Past Perfect + Present + Indefinite
                        If he hadn’t left any message when you called, he probably intends to be    back before you learn.”– Horn by
            If clause G will/would/should Gi we‡kl e¨envi t
          mvaviYZt GB mvnvh¨Kvix verbs ¸wj mvaviYZt Conditional evK¨ if Gi c‡i e¨eüZ nq bv| Z‡e wKQy e¨wZµg Av‡Q| h_vÑ
          (a)       AwaKZi bg&ª Aby‡iva eySv‡Z If + will/would cÖvqB e¨envi Kiv nq|
                   If you will/would wait a bit, I’ll get prepared is free.
                   `qv K‡i GKUz A‡c¶v Ki“b, Avwg ˆZix n‡q AvmwQ|
Note:  e³v hLb g‡b K‡ib Zvi Aby‡ivawU wbðqB i¶v n‡e ZLb If Gi mv‡_ would e¨envi Kiv nq|
                   If you’d fill up this form.
                        If you’d just help me with take 500/-
                        If you’d open your books.
            (b)       If + will/would e¨w³i AvMÖn D‡j­L Ki‡Z me Person GB e¨envi Kiv †h‡Z cv‡i t
                   If he’ll listen to me, I’ll be able to help him.
                        †m hw` ïb‡Z AvMÖnx nq, Zvn‡j Avwg Zv‡K mvnvh¨ Ki‡Z cvie|
                   If he’ll will reasonable, I’ll meet up all differences with him.
                        †m hw` b¨vq msMZ n‡Z AvMÖnx nq, Z‡e Zvi mv‡_ Avgvi me we‡iva wgwU‡q †dje|
                   If he won’t accept mediation, we’ll be strict.
                        †m hw` mg‡SvZv †`Lv‡Z AvMÖnx bv nq Z‡e Avgiv Abo _vKe|
          (c)       If + will GK¸‡qgx/†R` eySv‡Z e¨eüZ nq|
                   If you will keep you TV on with a blaring sound, no wonder you neighbours complain.
                        Zzwg hw` GK¸‡qgx K‡i D”P k‡ã †Zvgvi wUwf †Lvjv ivL †Zvgvi cÖwZ‡ekxiv Awf‡hvM Ki‡e G‡Z AevK nIqvi wKQy †bB|
          (d)       If + would like/would care AwaKZi bgªZv/f`ªZv eySv‡Z If + want/wish Gi cwie‡Z© e¨envi Kiv hvq|
                   If you would like to come I’ll get a ticket for you.
                        If you would care to see the photograph. I’ll bring them some evening.
                        If he would like to stay here, he can.
                        If you’d like to be a lawer, I’ll help getting admission her.
Note:  Would like Gi object bv _vK‡j structure n‡e wbgœiƒct
          If you like, I’ll get a ticket for you wKš‘ If you’d like a ticket, I’ll get one for you.
            If he likes he can stay here. wKš‘ If he’d like to stay here he can.
            (e)       KvRwU m¤¢e wKš‘ nqZ Kiv n‡e bv| Giƒc eySv‡Z If + should e¨envi Kiv nq|
                   If you should have any difficulty in getting spare parts, ring this number.
                        LyPiv hš¿vsk ¸wj †cZ Amyweav n‡j (Avm‡j Amyweav n‡e bv) GB b¤^‡i †Uwj‡dvb Ki‡Z cv‡ib|
                   If these mangoes should reach you in a damaged condition, please inform us immediately.
                        Avg¸wj hw` cPv Ae¯’vq Avcbvi Kv‡Q †cuŠ‡Q (Avkv Kwi cP‡e bv) Zv n‡j Avgv‡`i Zr¶Yvr Rvbv‡eb|

Basic Structure

2.         Second Conditional: (i) Basic structure: If + Past + would
                                                (ii) If + Past + would
            If I were a bird I would fly is the sky.
            Were I a bird I would fly in the sky. (were ev‡K¨i ïi“‡ZI e‡m)|
          If I had a friend here, I be happy.
            If our women were educated, they would do a lot for the country.
            If I have any sense, I would grow out of this type of reading.
            I had fortune, I would spend some of if in Florence.
            Avgvi UvKv cqmv bvB ZvB Gi GKUv Ask B”Qv _vK‡jI Florence G e¨q Ki‡Z cviwQ bv|
          If I had a camera, I would lend it to you.
            †Zvgv‡K K¨v‡giv avi w`‡Z cviwQ bv, KviY Avgvi map bvB|
          If I were a king, I would appoint you my minister.
Note:  GB Aev¯Íe k‡Z©i †¶‡Î subject singular †nvK Avi Plural †nvK me© †¶‡Î were e‡m| wKš‘ ordinary verb Gi †¶‡Î Dnvi Past form nq KviY,
            Be verb Gi 2wU Past form _vK‡jI (was, were) Ab¨ verb Gi †Zv Zv †bB|
          (ii)       If clause Gi KvRwU NUzK Zv PvB bv, Ggb Ae¯’v eySv‡ZI GB structure e¨envi Kiv nq|
                   If he came (Avwg PvB bv †m AvgyK), I would leave this house forthwith.
                        If the burglar were to come into my room at night, I’d throw piper-dust at him.
                        hw` †Pvi iv‡Z Avgvi N‡i Av‡m (wKš‘ Avwg PvB bv AvmyK) Zvn‡j Avwg Zvi w`‡K gwi‡Pi ¸ov Qy‡o gvie|
Variations: (Main clause G variation)
            (i)        If + Past + could/might.
                        If you brought me here yesterday, I might feel differently. (djvdj wbwðZ)
                   MZKvj Avgv‡K GLv‡b Avm‡j wbðqB Avwg Ab¨ iKg Abyfe KiZvg|
                   If you tried again, you might succeed. (m¤¢ve¨ djvdj)
                   Zzwg Avevi †Póv Ki‡j djvdj fvjI n‡Z cviZ|
                   If I had fortune, I could spent some fit for the poor. (¶gZv)
                   UvKv _vK‡j Mexi‡`i Rb¨ wKQy LiP Ki‡Z cviZvg|
                   If the pills made him dizzy why did he buy/has he bought/is he buying more?
                        wcj¸wj †me‡b hw` Zvi gv_v †Nv‡i Z‡e AviI wcj †h †Kb wK‡bwQj/wK‡b‡Q/wKb‡Q ?                  GLv‡b main clause G Past/perfect/progressive me tense GiB e¨envi †`Lvb n‡q‡Q|
If clause G variation:
            (i)        If + Past continuous: If we were going by train and not by bus I’d feel much better.
                        If my oven was working I would/could make a cake for you.
                        Avgvi oven wU KvR Ki‡j Avwg †Zvgvi Rb¨ GKUv †KK evbv‡Z cviZvg/evbvZvg|
          (ii)       If + Past Perfect + would:
                        If you had brought me here yesterday I would be more benefited.
                        MZKvj Avgv‡K Avb‡j Avwg AviI †ekx DcK…Z nZvg|
                   If our women were educated, why could do a lot for the country.
                        (would ÔnIÕ eySvq, “Could” cviZ, “might” m¤¢vebv eySvq)
          (iii)     If + Past + continuous conditional form e¨envi Kiv †h‡Z cv‡i|
                   If I were on holiday, I would/might be touring Singapore too.
            (iv)      If + Past + Past.
                        GB form GKwU ¯^qswµq A_ev Af¨vmMZ AZxZ cÖwZwµqv eySv‡Z e¨eüZ nq| (First            conditional Gi Main clause Gi variation Gi No-IV Gi mv‡_ Zzjbv Ki)
                   If cold wind blew from the north we moved to the other room.
                        DËi †_‡K VvÛv evZvm eB‡j Avgiv Ab¨ N‡i m‡i †hZvg|
Note:  j¶¨Yxq †h Past tense GLv‡b Past A_©B cÖKvk K‡i, Bnv conditional (A_©vr Aev¯Íe/Am¤¢e bq) bq|
          (v)       If hLb as A_ev since A‡_© e¨eüZ nq ZLb main clause G wewfbœ tense m¤¢e।D‡j­L¨ If + past tense GLv‡b AZxZKvjB eySvq, Ges Bnv cÖK…Z Conditional bq|
                   If you knew the conspiracy beforehand, you should have disclosed it to me.
                        †h‡nZz Zzwg loh‡š¿i K_v Av‡MB Rvb‡Z †Zvgvi DwPZ wQj G welq Avgvi Kv‡Q duvm Ki|
3. Third Conditional: (Unreal situations)
            If + Past Perfect + would have + past participle, GB structure G AZxZKvj eySvq Ges kZ© (condition)wU ev¯ÍevwqZ nevi bq| KviY If clause Gi KvRwUI N‡Uwb First I Second conditional Gi mv‡_ Bnvi cv_©K¨ GB †h, First I Second conditional; eZ©gvb ev fwel¨Z DfqB eySvq, wKš‘ third conditional ïay AZxZ eySvq Ges condition wU Aev¯Íe Avi Zv c~Y© nevi bq|
          If some one had mentioned her name, I think I would have recognised her.
            If he had come here yesterday, it would have been much better, (wKš‘ †m MZKvj Av‡mwb)|
          If I had known that he was coming by bus, I would have received him at the bus station.
            g~j structure Gi ZviZg¨ (variation)
            (i)        If + Past Perfect + could have/might have + Past Participle.
                        If our women had been educated they could have done a lot for the country. (Kivi ¶gZv eySv‡”Q)
                   Avgv‡`i †g‡qiv wkw¶Z n‡j †`‡ki Rb¨ A‡bK wKQy Ki‡Z cviZ (Avm‡j Ki‡Z cvi‡Q bv)
                   If the driver had driven the car not so recklessly, Diana and Dolly could have accident (ability) (Diana and Dody †K euvPvb †hZ (Avm‡j evuPb hvq bvB) hw` Mvox PvjK AZ †ec‡ivqv fv‡e Mvox bv PvjZ|
          If we had found him earlier; we might have saved his life. (m¤¢vebv)
          If our function had been over in time, we could have left at once and (could have) escaped the disaster (mvg_© A_ev m¤¢vebv)
          Avgv‡`i Abyôvb mgqgZ †kl n‡j (Avm‡j †kl nqwb) Zv n‡j Avgiv wech©q †_‡K i¶v †cZvg (i¶v cvBwb = ¶gZv/m¤¢vebv `yBB)
            (ii)       If + Past Perfect + would have been + ing
                        (If + Past Perfect + continuous form of perfect conditional)
                        (If Mr. Kamal had not bought the corner peat I would have been buying it.
                        wgt Kvgvj KY©vi c­UwU bv wKb‡j Avwg wKbZvg|
          (iii)     If + Past Perfect continuous + would have + Past Perfect
                        If he had not been wearing the helmet he would have met with a srious        accident.
                        †nj‡gU bv co‡j †m mvsNvwZK `yN©Ubvi wkKvi nZ|
          (iv)      If + Past Perfect negative + would have = Present use: Situations that are    no longer possible.
                        If some one had not mentioned her name, I hardly think a would have          recognised her.
                        †KD hw` Zvi bvg a‡i bv WvKZ, Z‡e Avgvi g‡b nq bv Avwg Zv‡K wPb‡Z cviZvg|
                   If my mother had not knocked my father off his bicycle thirty years age,     I wouldn’t have been have now. I wouldn’t be hero, now”–Swan.
                        Avgvi gv hw` mvB‡Kj †_‡K 30 ermi Av‡M Avgvi evev‡K †d‡j bv w`‡Zb, Z‡e Avwg AvR      Avi‡ GLv‡b _vKZvg bv|
          (iv)      Second Conditional I Third Conditional Gi wgkªY I m¤¢e|
                   The 5-30 bus met with an accident killing all its people.
                        If I had availed myself of the 5–30 bus I would be dead now/I would            have been killed.
            (v)       Had ev‡K¨i ïi“‡Z e¨envi Kiv †h‡Z cv‡i| ZLb Bnv If Gi KvR K‡i|
                   Had I been a millionaire I would have helped the poor a lot.


Exercise
            Conditional Sentences: Type 1 (Supposition possible Abymv‡i NUbvwU NUv m¤¢e/Am¤¢e ev Aev¯Íe bq|
            Put the correct form of the verbs in the gaps:
1.         If you go there now, you –––– (see) him.
2.         If you stand on the table it –––– (collapse).
3.         You will get fat if you –––– (take) more fats.
4.         If the police see you, they –––– (arrest) you.
5.         I will remain grateful if you –––– (lend) me take 5000/-
6.         If you read in dim light, you ––––  (ruin) you eyes.
7.         If you do not reach there in time, you –––– (miss) the function.
8.         Unless you work hard, you –––– (miss) a good class.
9.         If you misbehave with him, he –––– (retaliate)
10.       If there is timely and moderate rainfall, the country –––– (get) bumper crops.
11.       If you not –––– (believe) what I say, ask your mother.
12.       If you will kindly sit down, I –––– (make) tea for you.
13.       If you –––– (see) him, kindly tell him to see me.
14.       If it rains, leaves –––– (Shake).
15.       Should you require any help, please –––– (ring) me up.
16.       You –––– (buy) the house if you like it?
17.       If I take your red pen you –––– mind?
18.       If you put oil on water, it –––– (float)
19.       Unless my reading room is tidy, I –––– (not be able) to study minutely.
20.       If there is explosion, there –––– (be) sound.

Conditional type 2 (Supposition is contrary to known facts: Abygvb Aev¯Íe/ev¯ÍeeZvi mv‡_ m¤úK©nxb)
Put the correct tenses in the gaps:
1.         If I had a camera, I –––– (lend) it to you.
2.         If our women were educated, they –––– (do) a lot for the country.
3.         If I knew this before, I –––– (inform) you.
4.         If you fallowed your doctor’s advice, you –––– (cure).
5.         You –––– (look) a lot better if you shaved regularly.
6.         If there was timely rainfall, we –––– (get) a good harvest.
7.         If the cold wind blew we –––– (move) to the other room.
8.         If you got lottery money what –––– (do) with it?
9.         If if –––– (win) a big prize in a lottery, I’d give up my job.
10.       What you –––– (do) if she deserted you?
11.       If he –––– (drive) his car not so recklessly he –––– (escape) the accident.
12.       If he knew that it was dangerous, he not –––– (come).
13.       If you –––– (do up) your hair differently, you might look quite nice.
14.       What would you do if your car –––– (get) inactive on the way?
15.       If you brushed your teeth regularly, you –––– (have) no cavities.
16.       If you took exercise regularly, you –––– (not get) so fat.
17.       If our politicians had good sense, the country –––– (advance).
18.       If you saw a tiger on the way what you –––– (do)?
19.       If I knew her before she –––– (not cheat) me.
20.       You –––– (look) better if you had a boy-cut.
21.       Were you my guide, I –––– (be) happy.

Conditional types 3: (kZ©wU c~iY nevi bq)/improbable
Put the correct tenses in the gaps:
1.         If I had helped her before, she –––– (not ruin).
2.         If the driver had been move careful, Diana –––– (meet) with such an accident.
3.         I would have felt better if you –––– (bring) me here earlier.
4.         The criminals would have forced their way into my house if I, –––– (not call) for help.
5.         If our women had been educated, they –––– do a lot for the country.
6.         If our politicians –––– (be) more sensible our country would have not met with such disaster.
7.         But for his quickness I –––– (be) killed.
8.         If she had listened to her doctor’s advice she –––– (be) cured.
9.         If you had brushed your teeth regularly you –––– (have) fewer cavities.
10.       Had you been more cautions you –––– (have) faced such a situation.
11.       Had you had any sense you –––– (under go) such miseries.
12.       If you –––– (bring) me here earlier I would have felt differently.
13.       He –––– (arrest) if he had tried to leave the country.
14.       If you hadn’t been lazy, you –––– (fair) in the exam.
15.       If our English teacher –––– (speak) more stoarly we might have understood him.
16.       If you –––– (not sneeze) we could not have/wouldn’t have known that you were.
17.       If he had asked you, you –––– (accept)?
18.       If it had rained time, we –––– (have) bumper crops.
19.       If my shoes had not been so loose I –––– (catch) the train.
20.       The hens –––– (not spoil) you food if you had shut the door.

Conditional Sentences: Mixed types

Complete the sentences with correct tense:
1.         If I were a millionaire I .......................
2.         If you ate less .......................
3.         If our politicians practiced .......................
4.         Try again if .......................
5.         Don’t worry if.......................
6.         Take rest if you .......................
7.         He would lend it to you if .......................
8.         If the storm get violent .......................?
9.         How do you feel if .......................?
10.       The grass would look better if ........................
11.       If the river rise any higher .......................
12.       If the leak had been discovered earlier .......................
13.       I would have been happy, had .......................
14.       Our country would have prospered, had .......................
15.       If I had brought my umbrella .......................
16.       You will have to consult a doctor if .......................
17.       If the telephone rings while I’m in my both .......................
18.       I should have ordered more flowers if .......................
19.       If you leave the door open .......................
20.       If you work hard .......................
21.       If he will come, I .......................

2 comments: